SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Accounts Payable Specialist Grade: PS-1 Annual Pay: 59,796.21YR
Location: Washington, DC
This position is responsible for processing various forms of payable transactions, ensuring the
accuracy of those transactions, and serves as a quality-control expert for all Accounts Payable
transactions .This position serves an important internal control function in verifying expense
transactions to comply with SEIU's policies, ethics requirements, generally accepted accounting
principles (GAAP) and Department of Labor (DOL) requirements. As such, SEIU requires a
steward of member assets of the highest professional integrity in this position.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (This position works as part of a team, and each individual will be
assigned a rotating set of responsibilities that may include the following. Examples provide a general
summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be
performed by employees in the classification.)
• Data entry for various accounts payable transactions, including purchase orders, purchase
invoices and expense reimbursements.
• Prepare and reconcile payment runs, including ACH, wire, check, and AMEX payments.
• Creates and edits vendor requests.
• Reconciliation of vendor records with SEIU's records to ensure timely and accurate
payment and troubleshoot balance disputes.
• Verification of information provided by vendors to ensure consistency, proper
documentation and IRS form 1099 issuance.
• Serves as a primary contact with vendors on day-to-day issues such as payment
inquiries and account reconciliation.
• Researches payments/vendors and provides documentation from the accounting
system or files when requested.
• Reviews and reconciles expense and payment transactions, to verify proper coding and
compliance with GAAP, DOL requirements, SEIU's internal policies and ethics
• Assists the Credit Card Specialist with the corporate account reconciliation process.
• Processes all national bills such as rental car, phone etc.
• Provides assistance and support to SEIU employees in navigating the accounts payable
• Utilizes reports and other technology to appropriately analyze and monitor the
accounts payable functions assigned.
• Oversees the process for the SEIU Death Benefit program.
• Works with the Accounts Payable Manager and/or Lead to coordinate contracts,
including verification or proper approval & coding in compliance with SEIU policies and
procedures, tracking of expiration dates and communication to ensure a smooth
• Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU staff, auditors, financial institutions, vendors and other officials and
experts on accounting and system issues.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the Accounts Payable Manager, and is expected to be an active
participant within the Department of Strategic Finance.
Education and Experience
High school graduate or GED, and an AA degree with course work in Accounting.
H.S. diploma or GED; and five (5) years of work experience in accounts payable functions.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles and processes
• Ability to analyze basic financial reports
• General customer service skills and ability to build relationships easily
• Ability to review large amounts of transaction data and analyze for problems
• Ability to think critically and analytically to troubleshoot problems and build processes
• Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and effectively organize work in a changing
• Ability to maintain flexible attitude and approach toward assignments and actively
participate in a team-based setting
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with SEIU managers and administrative staff in
both written and oral presentation
• Ability to communicate sensitive information to principals
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software – Excel and Word
• Proficiency in a computerized accounting system.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Some overtime may be required.
Accounts Payable Specialist – Rev July 24 2018
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Education Required:High School
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :